This compilation is kind of eclectic, some of the songs hovering near the fringes of Shoegaze—with a possible escapee or two. It was meant to be dreamier, more reminiscent of the soothing susurration of the waves gently lapping at the shoreline, but it didn’t quite reach that level of peacefulness. If you give it a chance, however, you just might like it.
01. Lykanthea x Savage Sister “Naked” from Sundrowned
Solo experimental musician Lakshmi Ramgopal (AKA Lykanthea) joined forces with fellow Chicagoans Savage Sister to bring us this EP. Don’t forget to say, “thank you.”
Lykanthea: Bandcamp | Facebook | Tumblr | website
Savage Sister: Bandcamp | Facebook | SoundCloud | Tumblr | YouTube
02. Revival Hymns “Iron & Disgrace” from Pauhu
Finns (no, not Tim and Neil, the kind from Finland) Riku-Ville, Sauli, Henri, Markus, and Ville hang out in Tampere making music together.
Bandcamp | Facebook | SoundCloud | website
03. Alcest “La Nuit Marche Avec Moi” from Shelter
Parisian Dream Pop duo according to their Facebook page, but I remember when they would have warranted a darker and heavier description than that.
Facebook | website
05. Threading “Lust” from Azure
From an unknown location in Michigan, this artist/band has released a one-song single in 2013 and this EP in 2014.
06. Secrets of the Third Planet “Dionaea” from Hidden Space
Originating in Moscow, Russia as a solo project in 2004, over time, this band has come to include Eugene, Anton, Vasiliy, Dasha, and Fedor.
Bandcamp | Facebook | SoundCloud
07. Ancient Babes “Surface Terms” from Futuristic Demon
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. Amusing cover art.
08. Polythene “Exile” from A Certain Fountain
Everyone in Olympia, Washington knows that Polythene is Annika Holland.
11. Wavr “Born Again” from Disconnect
A Shoegaze band from Austin, Texas… what a surprise.